Arqa Himalayan Pink Salt Block
The ancient Himalayas are home to mineral-rich salt deposits dating back 5,000 years. Our passionate spice merchants went to the heights of the snow-capped mountainous range where we unearthed crystalline pink salt blocks from age-old mine shafts. Arqa took over these rough cut salt blocks to introduce for the first time in India, perfectly cut Himalayan Pink Salt Blocks and Bowls.
This slab of salt isn’t your typical cook and serve ware. It is nature’s cook top and serving platter all tied in one, making it an inventive way to include the goodness of pure mineral salt in your life. Use it to grill fresh ingredients such as asparagus, root vegetables, mushrooms, seafood and meats. Or you can chill it in the freezer to serve freshly made sushi, salads, cheese, charcuterie, or even desserts. Not only does this colourful prehistoric crystal add an enhanced salt flavour, they’re also just too beautiful to look at! It is perfect to keep one in your kitchen and makes for an original gift for a variety of occasions.
Benefits of using a salt block
1. More Complex Than Table Salt
Himalayan pink salt contains over 80 trace minerals and other elements, making it much better for your health than regular salt. It also imparts an intensely complex flavour, turning familiar food into something a bit more interesting.
2. Healthy Minerals
Cooking on pink salt block naturally imparts incredible amount of minerals in your food. It stabilizes your body’s pH balance, improves digestion, and reduces acid reflux amongst other things.
3. Anti-Microbial Surface
Unlike other cooking pans and surfaces pink salt block has the low porosity and moisture retention, creating a naturally anti-microbial surface. Thus, you’ll never have to worry about germs on the pink salt block.
Cooking on your salt block
• Make sure the block is completely dry before heating it. If used previously, rest the block for at least 24 hours before using it again.
• The first few times you heat the block, you will notice fissures forming, moisture accumulating and sometimes even notice the colour change. That’s alright. After successive uses, the block will return to its natural shade.
• Remember, heating a salt block requires patience and needs to be done gradually.
• How to know when you’re ready to cook? Sprinkle some water on the block; it should instantly sizzle and evaporate.
• Food will invariably stick to the block so drizzle a little oil before cooking. You could even rub your ingredients with oil before cooking it.
Cooking on gas range: Set the flame on low and place the block over it for at least 15 minutes. After the first 15 minutes, increase the heat to low-medium, and then to medium after another 15 minutes. To achieve a sauté temperature, it will take 45-50 minutes.
Cooking on grill: Place the salt block on the grate. Make sure the charcoal is on one side of the grill and the salt block on the other side. You don’t have to expose it to direct heat instantly.
Cooking in an oven: We do not recommend using an oven to heat the block as it may damage both the oven and the block. Instead, heat it as suggested for a gas range to about 180 degrees C and then transfer it into the oven to cook. However, handling your block at that temperature while transferring can get a little tricky so please observe caution.
Serve in style
Serving or presenting your final dish on a salt block adds an element of theatricality. Some ideas of how to use the pink salt block at your next party are:
• Cheese: Artfully arrange fresh mozzarella, slices of mature cheddar, goat cheese, crackers, dried apricots to make your very own cheese platter.
• Desserts: Create a sweet platter of chocolate tartlets, truffles, peanut brittles, brownies with a light drizzle of butterscotch sauce.
• Salads: Fresh Caprese salad, watermelon & crumbled feta, Greek salad, burrata and so on can be presented on your salt block.
There are numerous ways to make the most out of our specially designed arqa Himalaya Pink Salt Bowl. The bowl with compact salt crystals can be chilled to great extremes, making it perfect to serve cool desserts and dips with dramatic flair. Simply wipe the bowl with a dry cloth and place in the refrigerator until you have reached the desired temperature.
• Sundaes: Serve decadent sundaes like one with ice cream, chocolate sauce, caramelized banana and sprinkles.
• Ice Cream: Scoop on homemade sorbets, gelatos or even rabdi with kulfi.
• Dips: Impart a unique flavour to your salsa, guacamole and hummus.
• Fruit Salads: Add a salty kick to fruit salads and drizzle over some warm custard or butterscotch sauce.
• Pie: Make quick & easy no-bake pies such as banoffee or cheesecake in the bowl for an interesting twist.
Storage & Cleaning
Once you’ve used your salt block, allow it to cool down to room temperature. This will take about 12-24 hours so be patient. Rinse the salt block under warm water and scrub with a sponge to remove any food particles that may be stuck to the surface. Repeat the process a couple of times until all the particles are removed. Don’t use any soap for this; pink salt is naturally anti-microbial. Pat dry with a paper towel and set it on a drying rack. It is advisable to store your salt block in a dry place. In case you live in a place with high humidity, wrap it in a towel and store it in a cupboard.
Pick one up from our store and join the trend of cooking innovatively. To start off, here are few recipes that you can try