In the mood for some Italian munching? Try Kankana Saxena's Asparagus and Peas Risotto.
1 cup arborio rice
4 cups vegetable broth or water
1 onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
¼ cup white wine
230 g asparagus, cut in half in length
2 cups fresh peas
½ cup freshly parmesan cheese, grated
1 tbsp butter
Juice of half lemon
Salt & pepper to taste
- Add the broth or water in a deep saucepan and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and let it simmer.
- Simultaneously, heat 1 tablespoon of oil in wide pan and sauté garlic along with chopped onion for about 2 minutes. Make sure the heat is medium.
- Pour rice and give a stir to mix everything. Cook for a minute. Season with salt, pepper and add white wine. Give it another mix and let it cook for 2 minutes.
- Then, pour half a cup of the warm broth into the pan and stir. Watch the bubbles. It shouldn’t bubble away too fast or too slow. Once you notice the broth is almost absorbed, add another half cup and give it a stir. Continue this step until the rice looks cooked.
- Taste in between to check the rice. It should have a very light crunch when you bite it but it shouldn’t be too hard. It takes about 40 minutes.
- Once the rice is almost done, add lemon juice, chopped asparagus and peas. If you are using fat asparagus and frozen peas, blanch it before adding to the risotto.
- At the end, add butter and parmesan cheese. Stir and check for salt. Add any, if required.
- Serve immediately with a little bit more parmesan cheese on top.