Asparagus; 1 bunch
Sun-Dried Tomato; 1/2 cup
Pearl Barley, soaked overnight; 2 cups
Olive Oil; 2 tbsp
Onion, chopped; 1 large
Garlic, minced; 1 tsp
Vegetable Stock; 5 cups
Butter; 3 tbsp
Parmesan, grated; ½ cup
Parsley, chopped; 2 tsp
Spinach Leaves; a handful
- Preheat an oven to 180 degrees C. Place asparagus on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil just enough to lightly coat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake just until done, yet crunchy. Cut into dices and set aside to cool.
- In a heavy bottom pan, heat olive oil and add finely chopped onion and garlic. Sauté just until softened. Tip in the pearl barley and stir.
- Pour 3 cups of vegetable stock to cover the barley completely. Cook, stirring often, until all the liquid is absorbed. Repeat process, one cup of stock at a time until all of the stock is absorbed and the barley is cooked to al dente.
- Tip in roasted asparagus, sun-dried tomatoes, spinach leaves, a teaspoon of parsley and season to taste.
- Stir in grated parmesan and butter to give the risotto a smooth and creamy finish. Sprinkle chopped parsley and serve piping hot.