Chicken wings get a Japanese updo with the delicious tonkatsu sauce
Cook Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
Serves: 4 people
3 cups tonkatsu sauce
250 g chicken wings
2 tbsp honey
1-inch ginger, finely grated
2 tbsp chilli sauce
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tbsp oil
3 tbsp cornflour
Salt to taste
Sesame seeds, for garnish
All ingredients are available at Foodhall stores.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C.
- Drop the chicken wings into a bowl and add salt, oil and 2 tablespoons of cornflour. Massage the chicken wings and layer it in a baking pan. Bake it for about 30 minutes.
- After the wings are in the oven, start preparing the sauce. In a saucepan, pour tonkatsu sauce along with honey, grated ginger, chilli sauce and lemon juice.
- Bring it to a boil and then allow it to simmer for about 15 minutes. Mix 1 tablespoon of cornflour with 1 tablespoon of water in a cup and pour it into the sauce.
- Bring the sauce to a boil, cook for two more minutes and then switch off the heat. Keep the sauce aside to be used later.
- Once the chicken wings are baked, take it out of the oven and drop them in a mixing bowl. Pour the sauce over the wings and give it a mix. Layer the chicken wings back in the baking pan and bake for 15 minutes. Finish it with a sprinkle of sesame seeds and serve warm.