This is a lovely soup dish that is really warming but it also have a wonderful sweetness that comes from vegetables.
2 tbsp Oil
1 Arqa bay leaf
1 tsp Arqa cumin seeds
2 cloves garlic, minced
5cm piece ginger
2 carrots, peeled and diced
3 beetroots, peeled and diced
2 green chillies
Handful of coriander stalks
Arqa salt to taste
All ingredients are available at Foodhall stores
- Heat oil in a pan and add bay leaf, cumin and garlic to gently infuse the flavours.
- Saute for 1 minute then add the ginger and sauté for another minute. Be sure not to burn the ginger.
- Add carrot, beetroot and green chillies and cook for five more minutes.
- Pour in the water and the coriander stalks then let it come up to boil. Reduce to a simmer for 20-30 minutes until the beetroot and carrots are cooked through.
- Puree the mixture and adjust the seasoning. If it’s too thick add a little water and stir it well.
- Strain the puree through a sieve to ensure it is smooth and check the seasoning again.
- Serve immediately with a slice of crusty bread and whipped yoghurt,