Kankana Saxena pairs two distinct ingredients to create one delicious recipe.
500 g mutton, cubes
2 medium size beetroots, cut into bite size
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1 red tomato, thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 inch ginger, finely chopped
1 bay leaf
1 cinnamon stick
3 green cardamoms
1 tsp fennel seeds
½ tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp chilli powder
½ tsp sugar
½ tsp garam masala powder
Salt to taste
- In a heavy bottom big saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of oil and drop the bay leaf along with green cardamom, cinnamon stick and fennel seeds. Once it starts to sizzle, scatter the garlic, ginger and onion. Season with salt, sugar and let it cook until the onion is golden brown in colour.
- Now, drop the beetroot cubes, mutton cubes and add some more salt plus turmeric powder. Stir and let it cook on medium-high heat for about 4 minutes.
- Lower the heat to medium and add the spices (cumin, coriander, and chilli). Give it a mix and continue cooking for 3 more minutes.
- Drop the tomatoes, give it a mix and add enough water to cover everything. Bring it to a boil and let it simmer until both the meat and beetroot are tender. You can alternatively prepare the whole thing in a pressure cooker to save time.
- Once the meat and beetroot are tender, check for salt and at this point, you can decide how much gravy you want. Accordingly, add more water or continue cooking in high heat so that the water gets absorbed.
- Finally, add garam masala powder and let it cook for 5 more minutes. Serve warm with steamed rice or bread of your choice.