Traditional Bengali dal served best with puris of steamed rice.
300g Split Bengal Gram from Traditions by Foodhall
2 sticks Arqa Cinnamon
5 cups water
2 tbsp ghee
1 tbsp golden raisin
23 Arqa Cardamom
1 tbsp cashewnut, broken
1 medium Arqa Bay Leaf
2 tbsp coconut, chopped
½ tsp Arqa Turmeric Powder
½ tsp Arqa Cumin
Pinch of Arqa Asafetida
½ tsp Arqa Chili Powder
Sugar & salt to taste
All ingredients are available at Foodhall stores
- Wash & soak the lentil for few hours.
- Pressure cook with water, salt & turmeric powder till they are cooked thoroughly.
- Transfer cooked lentil to a kadai. Add sugar & simmer until thick.
- Heat ghee in a small pan for tempering; add asafetida, cumin & all the spices. Fry till they crackle & add them to the lentil.
- Fry coconut, cashew & raisin to golden separately & add to the simmering dal.
- Garnish with fresh coriander.