Tangy, tamarind flavoured shredded chicken recipe by London based chef Hari Ghotra.
4 chicken thighs, skinned and trimmed
3 cloves garlic
1 tsp Arqa salt
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 onion, finely diced
2 green chillies, finely chopped
2-4 tbsp tamarind water, or juice from 1 lemon
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp mango powder (amchoor)
Handful of fresh coriander, chopped
All ingredients are available at Foodhall stores
- Place chicken in a pan and cover with water, add the garlic cloves, salt and place on a gentle heat.
- Cook for about 10 minutes and remove from the water and leave to cool. Retain the water as stock.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the onions, cook gently until browned.
- Add the green chilli, salt to taste and pour in the tamarind water with a little of the stock water from the chicken.
- Cook gently and let the sauce reduce. Add a little more stock and cook to thicken. After about 5 minutes add both the chilli and mango powders.
- Once the chicken has cooled, shred it using two forks and add to the sauce.
- Stir to coat and leave to cook for a few minutes.
- Remove from the heat and sprinkle in the garam masala and a handful of fresh coriander.