800 g chicken breast, skin removed
2 tbsp butter
1 brown onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 leeks, thinly sliced
2 celery stalks, finely sliced
2 carrots, peeled & diced
1 parsnip, peeled & chopped
2 medium potatoes, peeled & chopped
2 sprigs parsley
4 sprigs thyme
500 ml chicken stock
Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
150 ml cream
Puff pastry, enough to cover pie dish
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees C.
- Dice chicken breast into 1.5 cm pieces. Heat the butter in a large pan over a medium to high heat and then add the chopped onion, garlic, leeks, celery, carrots, parsnip and potato. Cook until tender. Now add the chicken and brown lightly.
- Run your fingers along the stalks of the thyme then add the leaves to the saucepan. Pick the leaves off the parsley stalks and also add to the saucepan. Now add chicken stock and bring to a light simmer and cook gently for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cream. Taste and season with sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
- Spoon into pie dish large enough to accommodate. Cover pie dish with the puff pastry and using your fingers, press down around the edges then trim using a knife. Make a few slips in the middle of the pastry for steam to be released.
- Bake in the hot oven for 15 minutes or until the pastry is golden and cooked.
- Remove from the oven and serve.