Kimberly Parsons shares her take on the traditional idea of an apple crumble crunched with muesli and warm roasted almonds and hazelnuts.
Seasonal berries (if desired)
125 g muscovado sugar
5 tsp ground cinnamon
100 ml water
200 g whole rolled oats
75 g sultanas
Handful sunflower seeds
Handful pumpkin seeds
2 tbsp plain flour
125 g soft butter
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C.
- Peel the apples and pears, then cut into quarters and deseed. Then cut each quarter in half and place in a heavy-based large saucepan with 50g of the muscovado sugar, cinnamon, and water. Bring to the boil and then simmer until the apples and pears are soft but not mushy. Remember that the fruit will continue to cook once crumble is in the oven.
- In a large bowl place the remaining sugar, oats, crushed nuts, sultanas, seeds and 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon and 2 tablespoons of plain flour. Mix together. Using your hands rub 125g soft butter into mixture.
- Once combined place stewed apples and pears in a baking dish. If desired sprinkle frozen or fresh berries over the apples and pears. Then cover the fruit with the crumble mix. Cook in the oven for 25 minutes or until crumble is golden.
- Serve with custard, vanilla ice cream or cream.