Love mushrooms? Here is Amrita Rana's quick appetizer suggestion for your party woes.
12 button mushrooms
1 tbsp olive oil
Handful of fresh herbs (rosemary and thyme) Or a pinch of dried herbs
4 cloves of garlic, grated
Salt & pepper to taste
For the caramelized onions
3 onions, sliced lengthwise
1 tbsp balsamic Vinegar
1 tsp sugar
For the cheese stuffing
1/2cup feta cheese, crumbled
¼ cup cheddar/processed cheese, grated
- Clean the button mushrooms and remove the stalk so as to leave a cavity in the bottom.
- Marinate the mushrooms in olive oil, garlic rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper for minimum 15 minutes or maximum an hour.
For caramelised onions
- Heat some oil in a large pan, add the onions and cook it on medium heat. When the onions have become translucent, season with sugar and add the balsamic vinegar. Continue to cook till the water has evaporated and the onions are slightly caramelised.
For cheese stuffing
- In a bowl, mash together feta and other grated cheese till well combined.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C. Stuff each mushroom with a little of caramelised onion mixture. Cover it generously with a mixture of feta and cheddar cheese so it forms a cap around the mushroom.
- Bake this in a preheated oven for about 10 minutes until the mushrooms are soft and the feta cheese has begun to brown. Remove the mushrooms from the oven and transfer on a serving plate.