Japanese-style miso fried tofu that's great to toss into salad, stir fried rice or enjoyed on its own.
450g firm tofu
¼ cup white miso paste
¼ cup ponzu sauce
¼ cup dark brown sugar
¼ cup honey
2 tbsp mirin
2 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp wasabi paste
1 tbsp ginger paste
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Vegetable oil for frying
Sesame seeds and spring onion greens to garnish
All ingredients are available at Foodhall stores
- Place the tofu block between two kitchen towels and gently press it down. This is to make sure all the excess water is squeezed out. Be firm yet gentle or else the tofu might crumble.
- Cut the tofu into equal sized cubes and set it aside.
- In a glass bowl, mix together the white miso paste, dark brown sugar, honey, mirin, rice vinegar, wasabi, ginger and garlic. Mix this with the tofu and let it marinate in the fridge, covered, for at least 24 hours. Just give it a stir every now and then to make sure every piece of tofu is getting enough of the flavours.
- Heat up a large cast iron skillet and pour the vegetable oil, enough to coat the bottom of the pan.
- On medium heat, add the tofu pieces in a single layer. Brown them on all sides patiently.
- Once done, take the tofu off the heat and drain excess oil on a paper towel.
- Garnish with spring onions and sesame seeds.
Note: This can even be tossed with rice or salads for added flavour.