All-purpose flour; 3 cups
Baking powder; 1 1⁄2 tsp
Baking soda; 3⁄4 tsp
Salt; 1⁄4 tsp
Ground ginger; 1 tbsp
Ground cinnamon; 2 tsp
Ground cloves; 1⁄4 tsp
Unsalted butter; 8 tbsp
Dark brown sugar; 3⁄4 cup
Eggs; 2 large
Molasses; 1⁄2 cup
Vanilla extract; 2 tsp
grated lemon zest; 1 tsp (optional)
- In a small bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves until well blended.
- In a Kitchen Aid or a blender beat butter, brown sugar, and egg on medium speed until well blended.
- Add molasses, vanilla extract and lemon zest. Continue to mix until well blended. Stir in dry ingredients & mix well until smooth.
- Divide dough in half and wrap each in plastic and let it sit at room temperature for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 190 degree C and prepare baking tray with parchment paper.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface, sprinkle flour over dough and rolling pin and roll dough until 5 mm thick.
- Cut out cookies with a cutter of your choice.
- Place cookies on the lined baking tray and keep space between the cookies. Bake for 7-10 mins
- Remove cookies from oven and allow to stand until the cookies are firm.
- After cookies are cool, decorate them with royal icing or enjoy as it is.