This gingerbread recipe is a Kimberly Parsons special - place in cellophane bags with a silver ribbon to make the perfect handmade gift.
Cook Time: 45 minutes + 4 hours chill time
Serves: 8-10 people
250 g butter
220 g castor sugar
250 ml molasses or treacle
2 tsp white vinegar
600 g plain flour
1½ tsp baking powder
2 tbsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C. Line 3 baking trays with baking paper.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and creamy. Beat in egg, molasses and vinegar. Sift together all dry ingredients and blend with cream mixture.
- Roll dough into a log shape and divide dough in half. Wrap each half in cling film and chill for 4 hours.
- Roll dough on floured surface to 1 cm thickness. Cut into desired shapes using cookie cutters. Bake for 5-6 minutes or until gingerbread is browned on the edges but still a little soft and chewy in the middle. Cool on wire rack.
- Store them in cookie jars when cooled.