1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, finely sliced
2 red peppers, finely sliced
2 fresh red chillies, deseeded and finely sliced
1 dried ancho chilli
3 bay leaves
800 g tinned tomatoes
2 tomatoes, sliced
1 cup queso fresco, crumbled
Lime & fresh coriander for garnish
Salt & pepper to taste
Olive oil for cooking
- Set a large frying pan on a high heat and drizzle some olive oil. Toss in the onion, garlic, peppers, fresh and dried chillies, bay leaves and a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir and cook for 15 minutes to soften and caramelize the onions.
- Add your tinned tomatoes and use the back of your spoon to mash them up. Bring to the boil and then turn down to a medium heat to cook for five minutes. It will reduce down to a thick, stew-like consistency.
- Adjust seasoning and lay your sliced tomatoes over the top of the mixture.
- Use a spoon to make small wells in the tomato stew, and crack in your eggs so they poach in the sauce. Season from a height and put the lid on to let the eggs cook for around 3 to 4 minutes.
- Warm your tortillas in the oven at 180 degrees C for a few minutes. You could even heat them up in a pan.
- Take the lid off and check if the eggs are cooked by slightly poking the yolk with a finger. Turn the heat off when ready.
- Prepare by laying tortilla on a plate and loading it with an egg and some of the delicious tomato sauce on top, squeeze of lime and fresh coriander. Crumble some queso fresco on top, wrap it up, and eat it right away.