Italina dish made with red lentils from our Traditions by Foodhall range.
2 cups Traditions by Foodhall Red Lentil
1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 bay leaves
1 tsp dried mixed herbs (thyme, oregano, rosemary etc.)
3 tbsp tomato puree
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar (or lemon juice)
2 tsp olive oil
Enough water to cook the lentils (at least 4 cups)
Salt & pepper to taste
- In a pressure cooker sauté onions& garlic in olive oil.
- Add lentils, carrots, celery, bay leaves, dried herbs and water. Cover and cook.
- Lentils should cook with 2 whistles of the pressure cooker, plus a few minutes on simmer.
- Open the cooker and add the tomato puree, balsamic vinegar and salt & pepper.
- Check the seasoning. Simmer for 2-3 minutes (without covering the pressure cooker)
- Remove the bay leaves. Garnish with fresh parsley (optional) and serve immediately.
If you’d like to make the soup meaty, add meatballs or cooked sausages to the soup before serving.
Replace water with a mixture of water & stock (either vegetable or meat), to increase the nutritional value of the soup.