Ditch the regular chocolate cake and try Kimberly Parsons take on Orange & Poppy Seed Cake.
440 g castor sugar
1 tsp of salt
Rind Of 2 oranges, grated
185 ml single cream
340 g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 dessertspoon poppy seeds
125 g unsalted butter, melted
50 g icing sugar (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C. Butter a 30cm round spring form cake tin and line the bottom with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, sugar, salt, orange rind and cream for 5 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Sift in the flour and the baking powder and fold in the poppy seeds, followed by the butter.
- Pour the mixture into the cake tin and bake for 40 minutes or until the cake springs back when touched. Allow to cool in the tin.
- For a decorative finish, dust with icing sugar.