A comforting bowl of chicken, egg and rice with subtle flavours of ingredients from Japan
Chicken Thighs, boneless & skinless; 2 pc
Onion, peeled; ½
Eggs, large; 2
Dashi; 2/3 cup
Mirin; 1 ½ tbsp
Sake; 1 ½ tbsp
Soy Sauce; 1 ½ tbsp
Sugar, granulated; 1 ½ tsp
Japanese short grain rice, cooked; 3 cups
Spring Onion/Scallion, chopped; small bunch
Shichimi Togarashi; to taste
1. Combine dashi, mirin, sake, soya sauce in a bowl, add sugar and mix until dissolved.
2. Thinly slice the onion and finely chop scallions.
3. Beat the eggs in a small bowl. Slice the chicken thigh diagonally and cut into 1.5″ (4 cm) pieces.
4. In a pan, sauté onions until soft and then add the chicken and toss on low heat.
5. Pour roughly ½ of the seasoning sauce to cover the onion and chicken.
6. Turn up the heat to medium & bring to boil. Simmer till chicken is not pink anymore and cooked.
7. Slowly and evenly drizzle the beaten egg over the chicken and onion.
8. Cook it covered, on medium heat until the egg is cooked till desired doneness.
9. Add the scallions right before removing from the heat.
10. Pour the chicken and egg on top of steamed rice, drizzle remaining sauce and a generous amount of Togarashi. Serve!