Assorted spices; cinnamon, clove, star anise; 2 sticks each
Onion; 1 large; peeled and quartered
Fresh ginger; 4-inch piece; peeled and halved lengthwise
Vegetable stock; 10 cups
Chicken bones; 500g
Soy sauce; 2 tbsp.
Rice noodles/ rice vermicelli; 250g; cooked
Fish sauce; 4 tbsp.
Vegetable oil; 1tbsp.
Shiitake mushrooms; 200g; sliced
Chicken Breast; 2 pcs; boneless
Salt; as required
Garnish- Bean sprouts, sprig of fresh basil, fresh mint, sliced green onion, sliced jalapeño, red chilli pepper, lemon wedge.
1. Place a Stock pot over medium heat with the vegetable stock and blanched chicken bones. To this add cinnamon sticks, cloves, and star anise and toast until fragrant, stirring occasionally.
2. Add the onion, ginger and soy to the vegetable stock.
3. Raise the heat bringing the mixture to a boil. Add the chicken breast reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. In the meantime, prepare your rice noodles by cooking them according to package directions and set them aside. Once chicken breast is cooked take them out and cool.
4. Warm oil in a wok and add the shiitake mushrooms and season with a pinch of salt. Cook until the mushrooms are tender and lightly browned.
5. Once the broth is done, strain out the bones, onions, ginger and spices. Season to taste with extra soy sauce and/or salt to adjust the seasoning.
6. Ladle the broth into bowls, add cooked noodles and mushrooms, and arrange sliced chicken, add fresh herb garnishes. Serve piping hot immediately.