Roasted Pumpkin Risotto is unusual but Kankan Saxena gives you a reason to try it out. Ingredients:
1 tbsp butter
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 cup arborio rice
3 cups Stock or Water
1 tsp Herbes de Provence
300 g pumpkin, peeled and cut into bite-size cubes
¼ cup cream/milk
100 g parmesan cheese
Few sage leaves
Toasted pumpkin seeds for garnish (optional)
Salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees C and scatter the pumpkin cubes evenly on a baking tray. Drizzle oil, sprinkle salt and Herbes de Provence. Give it a toss and roast it for about 30 minutes or until it’s tender. Once the pumpkins are cooled, take ¾ of it and blend it to a puree.
- Pour the stock/water in a pan and bring it to a boil. Then, bring the heat down to the lowest and let it stay warm.
- In a pan, add butter with a little bit of oil and scatter garlic along with onions. Give it a toss, sprinkle salt and let it cook for about a minute. Add arborio rice, give it a stir and let it cook for a minute.
- Ladle little bit of the warm stock/water to the rice, give it a stir and let it cook on medium low heat until the stock/water is absorbed. Once done, add some more stock and continue following the step until the rice is almost al-dente.
- Now, mix the pureed pumpkin to the rice and give it a mix. Continue cooking until the rice is al-dente.
- Pour cream/milk, grate half of the parmesan cheese on top and give it a mix. Finally, toss the remaining roasted bite size pumpkin cubes and give a final mix. Check for salt and add any, if required.
- To toast the pumpkin seeds, clean the seeds and dry them using a paper towel or leave it in the open air for a few hours. Once fairly dried, heat a little bit of oil in a pan and layer the seeds. Sprinkle salt, chilli powder and give it a toss. Continue toasting while tossing them every now and then until they’re golden brown in colour.
- To make crispy sage leaves, drizzle some oil in a hot pan and layer the leaves. Let it cook for a couple of minutes and take it off to a paper towel.
- Serve the risotto warm with crispy sage, toasted pumpkin seeds and shaved Parmesan.