Smoked bone-in ham with rind (preferably shank end), cured; 1 Whole
Orange Juice; 1 ½ cup + zest
Lemon Juice; 1/2 cup + zest
Red Wine; 1 cup
Olive Oil; 2 tbsp
Onion, coarsely chopped; 1 medium
Garlic Cloves, smashed; 4
Rosemary, coarsely chopped; 1/2 cup
Honey; 1/2 cup
Mustard Paste; 2 tsp
Black Pepper, grounded; 2 tsp
Red Pepper Flakes, crushed; 1/2 tsp
Salt; to taste
- Arrange a rack in the lowest level of the oven; preheat to 160°C. Leaving fat intact, remove outer rind from most of ham.
- Score fat crosswise (do not cut into meat) on top of ham with parallel cuts. Place ham in a large roasting pan.
- Boil red wine, 1 cup orange juice, lemon juice and 7 cups water in a saucepan for 5 minutes. Pour into the bottom of the roasting pan.
- Bake ham, basting with pan juices occasionally until an instant-read thermometer inserted into centre of ham registers 50°C for two and half to three hours.
- Meanwhile, sauté the shallots and rosemary in olive oil and stirring often until shallots are very soft for about 10 minutes, stir in the garlic and sauté.
- Add ½ cup orange juice. Bring to a simmer and cook until reduced to quarter in volume.
- Cool and transfer the mixture to a food processor and blend. Add lemon and orange zest, mustard, honey, pepper and salt. Mix well.
- Remove pan from oven and increase heat to 180°C. Using a pastry brush spread the citrus mixture over ham properly.
- Return pan to oven and bake the ham, until crust is golden brown, for 15-30 minutes.
- Transfer ham to a large platter. Rest for 30 minutes before carving. Skim fat from pan juices, reheat and pour juices into a medium pitcher; serve alongside.