Wondering how to use pear tomatoes and make the most out of it? Try Amrita Rana's recipe.
For the pastry dough
1 ¼ cups refined flour
½ cup cold butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
A pinch of salt
A pinch of sugar
3 to 5 tbsp ice water
2 tbsp pesto (recipe below)
1 tbsp cream cheese
Handful of yellow & red pear tomatoes
1 cup basil Leaves
Handful of pine nuts
- In a mixing bowl, blend the flour, butter, sugar and salt with your fingertips. (Or pulse in a food processor) just until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Drizzle ice water spoon by spoon evenly over mixture and gently stir with a fork (or pulse in processor) until incorporated. Try making a ball out of it. If it doesn’t hold together, add more ice water, 1/2 tablespoon at a time. Do not overwork dough or pastry will be tough. Wrap the dough in cling wrap and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- To make small galettes, Divide the pastry dough into small balls. Roll the balls into mini rounds on a floured surface, about 5-6 inches diameter. Make sure it’s very thin. Prick the pastry with a fork. Smear cream cheese and pesto and top with the pear tomatoes, sprinkle some pine nuts over it. Fold over the edges from all around.
- Ideally, give it a brushing of egg wash (egg + water) or plain milk. Centre filling should be exposed in the prepared galette.
Place it on a parchment paper and bake for 10-15 min. the pastry should be nice and crispy and should have taken a golden brown colour.
- To make pesto, blend all the pesto ingredients in a food processor. Use as mentioned above.