1½ tbsp coconut oil
4 tsp garam masala
1 tsp ground fresh ginger
½ tsp chilli powder
1 tsp of curry powder
1 small onion diced
1½ tsp salt
1½ tsp ground black pepper
400ml coconut milk
200ml tomato puree
2½ tbsp whole wheat flour
1 kg chicken breasts, chopped into bite size pieces
Thick Greek yogurt to garnish
All ingredients are available at Foodhall stores
- Place a large pot over medium heat. Add coconut oil and sauté the onions until translucent.
- While this is cooking, mix together 2 teaspoons of the garam masala, ground ginger, chilli powder, and the curry powder together. Add this to the onions and cook for about 30 seconds more. This is to remove the raw flavour of spices.
- Stir in the coconut milk, tomato puree and the whole wheat flour, stirring for about 15 seconds to incorporate everything.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce to a simmer and cook together for about 5 minutes, allowing the mixture to thicken.
- Now you can add the chicken and stir it well so that the chicken is coated with the sauce.
- Adding the chicken will dilute the flavour of the sauce so add the remaining garam masala and salt and pepper.
- Bring the curry to a boil one more time, and then simmer until the chicken has cooked through.
- Turn off the heat once the chicken is cooked and leave it aside for the flavours to get absorbed into the chicken.
- Garnish with a few lashings of whipped yogurt and serve with naan.
Note: This can also be made with large cubes of fresh paneer.