Medium-Sized Prawns, deveined and shelled; 350 g (save the shells and heads)
Vegetable Oil; 2 tbsp
Water; 3 cups
Chicken Stock; 5 cups
Lemongrass Bulb, crushed; 2 pieces
Galangal, washed and thinly sliced; 20 g
Fresh Cilantro, chopped; 1/2 cup
Kaffir Lime Leaves; 4-6
Thai Red Chilli, crushed; 2 tbsp
Oyster Mushroom; 1 cup
Straw Mushroom; 1 cup
Thai Chilli Paste (Nam Prik Pao); 1/4 cup
Fish Sauce; 3 tbsp
Lime Juice; 1/4 cup
- Sauté prawn shells and heads, half the galangal, lemongrass, cilantro and kaffir lime leaves.
- Add water and simmer for 15 minutes to make the seafood stock. Strain and reserve the liquid and remove the shells and heads.
- In a mortar and pestle, pound rest of the lemongrass, galangal, kaffir lime leaves and Thai red chillies into a paste.
- Bring the chicken and prawn stock to a simmer, add the paste and simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- When it comes to a boil, add mushrooms and cook for 1-2 minutes or until cooked.
- Add chili paste and fish sauce. Stir to dissolve the chili paste.
- Add shrimp meat and cook just until done. Turn off the heat.
- Before serving with jasmine rice, top the soup with lime juice and cilantro.