Named after the island of Capri in Italy, Torta caprese is a traditional Italian chocolate and almond or walnut cake
325 g of blanched almonds, roughly chopped
175 g of bittersweet chocolate, chopped
110 g butter
110 g sugar
15 ml vanilla extract
Zest of 1 lemon
6 eggs, separated
Icing sugar for sprinkling
All ingredients are available at Foodhall stores.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degree C. Line a spring form pan with parchment paper. Lightly butter the paper.
- Chop almonds on a board so you have it coarse textures in the finished torta.
- In a double boiler slowly melt the chocolate and butter, and let cool slightly.
- To this mix, add sugar and vanilla extract. Then fold in the ground almonds and lemon zest, and mix until combined. Keep mixing and add one egg at a time.
- In a separate bowl beat the egg whites until they’re stiff and then gently fold them into the almond-chocolate mixture.
- Pour the batter into the prepared spring form pan. Bake in the middle of the oven for 50 minutes or until it begins to pull away from the side of a pan. You can test it by inserting a toothpick or a knife point. If it comes out clean or with moist crumbs, then you know it’s done.
- Let it cool and sprinkle the top with icing sugar. Serve with some fresh whipped cream.