A great fan of using butter in certain classic dishes, Chef Tyagi of Shangri-La's - Eros Hotel, New Delhi gives a recipe of one of his signature dishes.
For the pasta dough
500 g pasta flour or refined flour
12 egg yolks
For mushroom filling
350 g butter
8 sage leaves
100 g porcini mushrooms
200 g butter mushroom
100 g fresh ceps
10 g chopped garlic
Arqa Fleur de sel to taste
100 g chopped onions
Few sprigs of fresh thyme
50 g grated parmesan
To make the pasta dough:
- On a clean surface, add flour and make a well in the centre. Place one egg yolk and fold the flour inward into the eggs, using your hands. Knead and fold in a circular motion.
- Repeat the process until all the egg yolks and mixed with the flour.
- Add salt and continue kneading until you have a smooth dough. Cover it with a moistened paper towel and let rest for 10 minutes.
To make the mushroom filling:
- Take a heavy bottom pan with 50 gm of butter, sauté shallots and garlic on medium heat until golden brown.
- Add mushrooms, thyme, salt and pepper. Cook until mushrooms are tender and there is no water in it. Once it is cool, add half of the parmesan cheese into it and keep it aside.
For brown butter sauce
- In a large skillet, heat remaining butter and add sage leaves. Cook until the butter begins to brown, but not be careful not to burn it. The sage simply has to crisp up.
- When done, pick out sage leaves and set aside on paper towel.
To make tortellini:
- Divide the pasta dough into half. By using pasta machine roller attachment, roll out pasta dough into a thin sheet.
- Add more flour to your countertop working space.
- Spread the sheet on working space and cut into a square (6 cm x 6 cm). Place the mixture in the centre and apply little egg on the edge and fold it into a half triangle then join the two corners of the triangle to give a shape of tortellini.
- Repeat and make tortellini with rest of the dough and mixture.
- Bring water to a boil and add 2 tsp salt. Add tortellini and cook for 4 minutes.
- When cooked, strain and serve in a pasta bowl. Top each serving with browned butter sage sauce. Garnish with sage leaves and grated parmesan