Coconut oil; 1 ½ tbsp.
Shallot, 1 medium; minced
Minced fresh ginger; 2 tbsp.
Garlic; 2 cloves; minced
Thai red chili; 1; thinly sliced
Red curry paste; 3 tbsp.
Coconut milk; 2 cans
Coconut sugar/palm sugar; 3 tbsp.
Sea salt; as required
Tamari or soy sauce; 2-3 tsp.
Turmeric; 1 tsp; ground
Red bell pepper; 1; diced
Thai pea aubergine; 1/2 cup
Broccoli florets; 1 cup; blanched
Ripe mangos; 2; diced
Cashews; 1/4 cup; roasted and fried
Lemon juice; 1
- Heat a cast iron skillet and add coconut oil, shallot, ginger, garlic and Thai red chili. Add a pinch of sea salt and sauté for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add red curry paste and stir, cook for 2 minutes. Add coconut milk, coconut/palm sugar, sea salt, tamari, turmeric and stir. Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Once simmering, add red bell pepper and Thai pea aubergine. Cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Once the broth is thick, well-seasoned and the vegetables have softened, add mango, cashews and lemon juice, and simmer for 5-8 minutes over low flame.
- Serve with jasmine rice and steamed broccoli. This dish gets elevated with the addition of more lemon juice and Thai basil.